Agoura Hills Side-Swipe Accident Attorney
For over forty years, the personal injury lawyers at the Halpern Law Firm have been helping car accident victims recover monetary awards for their medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. We fight to ensure that our clients get the compensation they are owed after traffic accidents caused by negligent or reckless drivers. If you were hurt in a side-swipe crash and it was someone else’s fault, call the Halpern Law Firm for trusted, experienced, and diligent legal representation and advice.
How Do Sideswipe Accidents Happen?
Side-swipe accidents, also known as “angled collisions,” occur when one vehicle collides side-to-side with another vehicle, typically while traveling in the same direction. There are many circumstances and factors that increase the risk of a sideswipe accident.
The most common scenarios resulting in side-swipe accidents include the following:
- Unsafe lane changes. Side-swipe accidents occur most frequently when a driver changes lanes unsafely. The driver may have chosen not to signal, they may swerve too quickly, they may change lanes without checking their mirrors and blind spots, or they might simply change lanes without allowing sufficient time and space for other vehicles to pass. Aggressive, unsafe, and unchecked lane changes are extremely dangerous. At high speeds, the vehicles involved can be sent flying into other lanes of traffic or off the road. Even at low speeds, significant property damage can result as well as injury.
- Unsafe merging onto the freeway. Merging on the highway or freeway can be harrowing, especially if there is heavy traffic. When the on-ramp is just after a turn or is too short, it can be difficult for the onboarding driver to get up to speed. If drivers in the right lane are not paying attention, or if the driver entering the highway fails to check for vehicles and allow sufficient time for them to pass, a side-swipe accident could occur. Occasionally, the design of an on-ramp might be so poor as to raise the issue of the government’s liability for resulting accidents.
- Hitting parked cars. California has many busy, narrow streets with cars parked on either side. If a driver loses control for any reason–heavy wind, wet roads, distraction, intoxication, vehicle malfunction–they could swerve into a parked car on the side of the road. This is especially common where street parking renders the lane or lanes of traffic particularly narrow.
Damages Available After a Side-Swipe Accident
If you were hurt by a negligent or reckless driver in a side-swipe accident, you are entitled to compensation for the harm you suffered. The dedicated car crash lawyers at the Halpern Law Firm can help you build the strongest case for maximum recovery.
Depending on the circumstances of your crash, you may be eligible for a few different types of damages. Compensatory damages–damages meant to compensate an accident victim–are split into two categories: economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages are damages that go directly to your finances and are more readily quantifiable. These include:
- Medical bills
- Future anticipated medical costs
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Property damage
Noneconomic damages cover compensation for the more intangible harms you’ve suffered, those that are harder to quantify but are no less real. Noneconomic damages are primarily related to psychological harms, including:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional Distress
- Loss of life enjoyment
- Loss of companionship
Additionally, you may be eligible for “punitive” damages. Punitive damages are awarded on top of compensatory damages when a defendant’s conduct is especially reckless or malicious, such as if a driver was highly intoxicated or deliberately crashed into you. These are meant to punish a defendant for especially egregious conduct, rather than strictly to compensate the victim.
Talk to a savvy Southern California car accident lawyer to discuss the damages available in your case and how much your claims may be worth.
Call a Seasoned Southern California Side-Swipe Collision Injury Lawyer Today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a rear-end collision in Southern California, the skilled and accomplished car crash legal team at the Halpern Law Firm is here to help. We fight to get you the compensation you and your family deserve. Call us at (818) 785-5999 today. These cases are handled on a contingency basis, meaning you won’t be charged any attorney’s fees unless we win.