Agoura Hills Car Accident Attorney
Hundreds of thousands of people across the State of California are injured in car accidents every year. A serious car accident has the potential to completely upend your life. If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, these are just a few of the important questions you will need to answer immediately:
- Are you unable to work?
- How are you going to be able to support your family if you can’t work?
- How are you going to be able to pay for your medical bills?
Sadly, some traffic accident victims and their family members are denied their rights. Others get the run-around by insurance companies or get hounded by insurance adjusters pressuring victims to accept a quick, lowball settlement. If you want to protect your rights, your health, your finances, and your family after a serious car accident, we can help.
The seasoned car accident attorneys at the Halpern Law Firm have been representing car crash victims throughout Southern California for over 40 years. We work hard to ensure you and your loved ones get fully compensated for the harm and losses you have suffered as the result of a car accident.
Serious Car Crashes Happen Constantly in California
Here are some disturbing statistics about car accidents: In 2017, nearly 200,000 motor vehicle accidents in California resulted in injuries, with more than 3,900 people losing their lives. Over 277,000 people were hurt. Car accidents cause untold harm, losses and financial difficulty for those involved. While California is not the worst state in terms of traffic fatalities as a percentage of population, it is far from the safest.
Many of these accident victims go uncompensated. Drivers might not carry insurance, victims might not understand their legal rights, and insurance carriers might try to get around paying what they owe. Do not let negligent drivers, hard-nosed insurance companies, or any other responsible parties leave you dealing with the fallout from a serious car crash injury. A dedicated car accident victim attorney at the Halpern Law Firm can help you get the compensation you deserve.
Most Common Causes of Car Accidents
If everyone drove safely and responsible at all times while on the road, there would be next to zero accidents. Almost every car accident happens because someone was negligent at some step along the way. Unfortunately, the person to suffer the worst injury in an auto accident is not always the negligent party. Often, their actions cause serious injury or worse to innocent victims who were following the rules.
A number of causes may contribute to any given accident, but these are the most common contributing factors:
- Drunk driving remains a leading cause of traffic accidents and accidental deaths overall in California. In 2017, 1,167 people were killed in alcohol-related accidents in California.
- According to California’s Office of Traffic Safety, around 50% of drivers in fatal crashes who were tested for legal and/or illegal drugs tested positive. Drugged driving is just as dangerous as drunk driving.
- Distracted driving. Since the advent of smartphones and social media, texting while driving or otherwise operating a cell phone has quickly become one of the leading causes of car accidents.
- Speeding and other aggressive driving. Speeding, passing on the right, lane-splitting, passing on the shoulder, and other aggressive driving tactics contribute to as much as a third of all fatal and injury crashes.
- Drowsy driving. Driving without sufficient sleep can be just as dangerous as drunk driving. Safety studies have found that going without sleep for 18 hours has similar effects to driving with a blood-alcohol content (BAC) of 0.05%, while being awake for 24 hours mimics having a BAC of 0.10%, which is over the legal limit.
What Compensation Can You Recover After a Car Accident?
If you’ve been injured by a negligent driver, you have the right to seek compensation. Depending on the nature of the accident, you may be able to collect from the negligent driver, the auto manufacturer, the producer of defective car parts, the driver’s employer (if they were on the clock at the time of the accident), and/or the insurance provider for each of those parties. You have the right to compensation for the real costs generated as a result of your injuries as well as for the psychological harm you have suffered.
The seasoned car accident attorneys at the Halpern Law Firm fight for accident victims to recover all available damages, including:
- Past and present medical bills
- Anticipated future medical costs, including nursing care, prosthetics, physical therapy, pain medication, and medical procedures
- Pain and suffering caused by the injuries
- Wages lost as a result of missing work
- Lost future earning capacity for any permanent disability
- Emotional distress
- Punitive damages
Call a Dedicated Southern California Car Accident Lawyer Today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car crash in Southern California, the experienced and dedicated car crash legal team at the Halpern Law Firm is here to help. We fight to get you the compensation you and your family deserve. Call us at (818) 785-5999 today. These cases are handled on a contingency basis, meaning you won’t be charged any attorney’s fees unless we win.